During a long and decorated career, the USS Springfield served in two different classes. When commissioned in 1944, the USS Springfield was a Cleveland-Class Light Cruiser. It served in the Pacific at the end of World War II and earned two Battle Stars. Its primary role was in anti-aircraft support, but it also provided shore bombardment during island invasions. Then in 1957, it was taken to the ship yards in Quincy, Mass. and converted to a Providence-Class Guided Missile Cruiser. After 3 years, the work was completed, and the USS Springfield sailed for the Mediterranean Sea where it was the flagship for the 6th Fleet. Later in the 1970s, the USS Springfield served as the flagship for the 2nd Fleet, again in the Mediterranean Sea. Finally, in 1974, the ship was taken out of service and scrapped.